Monday, January 10, 2011

The Chiefs Playoffs Experience

What a great weekend I had thanks to two fun events! The big one being, of course, my first-ever NFL Playoff Game! KC Chiefs vs. Baltimore Ravens. The weather was cold and the Chiefs were terrible but I had a great time! The  Chiefs had a great season (much improved from their previous 3 seasons) and hopefully they keep it up in the years to come.

JJ and I at our tailgating spot! Yes, that is snow in the background!

Check out the sweet bonfire we had! It kept us nice and warm.

Our view of Arrowhead from the tailgate area. We were one of the first cars to arrive!

Gotta show off my sweet Sean La Chapelle jersey circa 1996! My fav player EVER!

Oh yeah, check us out by the field! We were only 9 rows up! 

Thanks guys for the awesome day!

We got to meet up with our fav guy from Boston- Bobby V!

Sidebar: you will notice on the picture above that I wore my normal winter black coat, purple scarf and purple knit hat. These are my everyday winter items but it didn't occur to me until I was there that those were Baltimore colors! Oh no!! I totally got yelled at by two people who thought I was a Ravens fan! I had to show them my jersey to convince them I was really a Chiefs fan!

Bobby's fam has a tricked out Chiefs bus!

Marty Schottenheimer's autograph on the bus! 

Go Chiefs!

The players doing a little pre-game prayer in the endzone.

Taste the Dwayne Bowe!
 Ok, this was maybe the best moment: the flyover during the national anthem from a B-2 bomber. These things give you goosebumps when you see them, they are so intimidating and b.a. We used to see them fly above Warrensburg a lot during college, as the Air Force base they are from is close by. Especially when the Iraq conflict started, they flew over all the time. Just amazing-looking machines.

My pic from the game.
A better picture of what they look like. It's like a Batmobile in real life.


#39 Brandon Carr

#74 from the Ravens- Michael Oher (the real life Blindside player).  It's hard to not want to root for him but I managed during this game to do so. 

Chiefs offense lining up

#96 Andy Studebaker
 Saturday morning was also great because I got to do a great KC cultural event with JJ, B, J and little J. We had free tickets to the National World War I Museum. This place was very impressive, both with the facts and information it presented and the overall design and architecture. I highly recommend a visit!

War is a terrible thing but since it did happen, I think it's important to remember the history of it so we can honor those that served and learn from the events to help prevent it from happening again. There were several things that I learned or was made more aware of during the trip. There's so much to read, there's no way you can get it all from one trip.

I knew that WWI started with a duke getting assassinated but I had forgotten the details. I also didn't realize the duke was named Franz Ferdinand. I thought that was just a band! I also had forgotten all about the Zimmerman telegraph. I can't believe Germany thought they were going to get away with enlisting Mexico to go to war with us. Really, Germany? Poor Mexico probably wanted to just stay out of it! Also, can you imagine if you were the British guy who discovered the telegraph! I would have been freaking out for sure. Thank you Brits for telling us about it, too so we could get ready!
The museum is underground the Liberty Memorial. The Memorial was built only a few years after WWI was over, in 1921.

I didn't take any pictures inside besides this one, of  this iconic poster.

Outside the Memorial, view of downtown KC and Union Station.

We got to go all the way to the top of the Memorial. Here's one view.

View of downtown.

View of Kansas  to the west.

We were at the top of this thing!
To learn more about the museum: http://www.theworldwar.org/s/110/new/index_community.aspx

Til next time...Laura

P.S. the good Chiefs pictures courtesy of JJ. :)

1 comment: