Monday, November 7, 2011

Hallmark- the Gucci of Greeting Cards

Last week, I had a very fun Kansas City afternoon with JJ. First, we went to check out the visitor's center at Hallmark cards. It really made me want to never buy anything but Hallmark but unfortunately it's usually the most expensive option for cards and wrapping paper, etc. But it is such an important part of KC! I've mentioned before that every time I see a list of contributors the Hall family is always mentioned.

The visitor's center is great because it's free! It's right in the Crown Center area where the Hallmark corporate offices are, as well. Here are some highlights:

Hallmark began in 1910 when at age 18, J.C. Hall moved to Kansas City from Nebraska with two shoeboxes of postcards. The company made the first ever greeting cards, invented wrapping paper, and now owns a television network and Crayola. The company celebrated their 100th year anniversary last year!!

Timeline of logos with the current one at the bottom.

Picture of J. C. Hall

Some of the first cards.
 In 1951, there was a severe flood in Kansas City. Some of Hallmark's warehouses were damaged. The city had to work very hard to clean it up. Hall was so impressed with the attitude of the city in the clean-up that he had Norman Rockwell commissioned to paint this picture, "The Spirit of Kansas City."



One of the many Emmy's that the Hallmark Channel has won.

This was really cool. It's a bow machine! It made a cute little pink bow and I got to keep it.
They also had a person working in the center. He was an engraver but you could stop and ask him questions if you wanted to.

Here's the pink bow I made!

I really like that Hallmark is still a family run business. J.C.'s son and now his grandsons are running the company. I'm sure they've had to change up a lot of their business since people don't mail as many cards as they used to. But Hallmark is so vital to KC. They practically took over a huge section of midtown and converted it into Crown Center, shops and restaurants and hotels. Imagine without Hallmark what that area would be, who knows!

I also really like how they employ a large number of artists and it seems like they get to be very creative and enjoy their work.

JJ then took me to another KC landmark, Bob Jones shoes. It's on Main St. I liked their mural on their building.



Finally, the week ended with another fun event! I got the pleasure of eating at Capitol Grille on the plaza. It was so good and fancy! We tried their signature drink, the stoli doli. (ok, I have no idea how to spell that, but it was good!)


We also got treated to the calamari appetizer. It was actually pretty good but really spicy!

Delicious desserts! The coconut cream was to die for!

This was pretty funny. I worked at the soccer stadium last Saturday and got a call. I almost had a heart attack when I saw the caller id!! Escobar!!

Too bad it wasn't Alcides!

Til next time...Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment