Saturday, May 28, 2011

Royals fun and facts about Lenexa

This spring has been a chilly one and we finally had a little good weather last weekend and what a better way to spend a sunny Saturday afternoon than at the Royals!


Jessica's got a new twin- Me!
 After the game, we headed over to the Plaza to the newly remodeled Grandfallon's. I had sangria- look how pretty it is!


This may be our new favorite bar. Great atmosphere, good food, perfect location. After some nachos and a drink, we headed over to the Legends to meet some friends to watch Pirates 4. Movie was ok- definitely better than 2 & 3. I was so tired, though, I tried to sleep through it!

I found another huge fountain there. This was is fun because it's designed for kids to run around and through it. Perfect for cooling off when shopping at this outdoor mall.

No. 66 Fountain at the Legends in KCK
 Of course, what we didn't realize that night was that there was severe weather coming through. The next day would be the Joplin tornado. Two days later, KC would have some tornado warnings, but nothing materialized here, thank God.

As many of you know, I am currently working in Lenexa, Kansas. On my way home, I drive by this fountain which is at the Lenexa Municipal building complex.

No. 67 87th St in Lenexa
I then noticed this statue beside the building and had to check it out! I'm glad I did because this statue is of a Native American named, Na Nex Se. She lived in this area and was married to a man named Black Hoof. When Black Hoof died, Na Nex Se carried on the work of their farm and the white residents of the area took notice of her work ethic and character. They were so impressed at the good example she set, that they modified her name and named the city Lenexa in 1869.


Lenexa's name comes from this woman, Na Nex Se

Til next time...Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment