Thursday, August 25, 2011

Book Reviews

I've been on a huge book kick the past few weeks. I loaded up on some books from the library and here are my thoughts on the last two books I've read.
 
 
 
"What the Dead Know" by Laura Lippman
 
This is a mystery-type novel about a woman who is involved in a car crash and tells the police that she is one the Bethany sisters- girls who went missing when they were teenagers. The detectives begin getting her story and don't know whether to believe her or not. The woman is in her 30's now, so why hadn't she come forward before? The book takes you back to the day when the girls went missing and you learn about their family and what happened.
 
I give this book a B-. I enjoyed reading it and especially towards the end, I really wanted to figure out what happened and learn if the woman was telling the truth. Some of the characters they introduce seem unnecessary to the story and could have been completely left out. The very beginning of the book was a little difficult to get into. The car crash scene is confusing and you don't understand some of the thoughts the main character has and why she has them. But, once I invested myself in the book, I did enjoy it. My favorite part was the ending, I love a good twist. My other favorite part is that it gave me the opportunity just to think about missing persons in general. If you think about it, knowing someone that just disappears into thin air is just crazy- no trace of what happened to them. I would like to read more stories about missing people and true stories as opposed to this fiction- especially if they were found later on to hear about what they went through. This particular character claimed that once she was freed by her captors, she didn't want to go back to her home or family. How sad that is! And how hard it must be if one of your family members or friends went missing and you have no idea where they are. That would just be torture.
 
Next book: "The Trillion Dollar Conspiracy: How the New World Order, Man-Made Diseases and Zombie Banks are Destroying America" by Jim Marrs
 
 
I love conspiracies! Even if I don't believe them, I love thinking about the possibilities that all this stuff is happening around us and we don't even know it. This book goes over a ton of conspiracies and theories and how the general public is letting an elite group of globalists make their preparations to limit the population and eventually control the entire world. Some of the theories include: the Federal Reserve Bank is unconstitutional and ripping off the American taxpayers, fluoride is added to city water to dumb people down, there are concentration camps set up all over the US to corral people to and then eliminate, big drug companies invent diseases just so they can sell drugs to treat them (Gulf War Syndrome was caused by toxins in the air set off by Saddam Hussein who purchased them from US/swine flu completely made up to sell more drugs and exploited by media), both political parties are controlled by globalists, the public education system is intentionally bad so that we create generations of blue-collar workers instead of "thinkers", among others.
 
I give this book a C+. I loved reading it, don't get me wrong. But the guy was stretching for some of it. And he didn't make it clear who the New World Order was. He would drop names here and there, the Bushes, the Rockefellers, etc. But I would have preferred a list of names, followed by evidence and previous acts that would lead you to be suspicious. Also, he went back into history to give examples of things that happened that just don't make sense. But if this is true and there is a group of people trying the control the world, how has it gone on for so long without anything happening? And there must be a leader, because rich people have egos and I can't see them working together very well without a leader. So, I guess I wanted him to be more clear- this is who is in the New World Order and this is what they are trying to do. Instead, he just rambled on and on about nearly every problem in America.
 
A lot of his arguments were also about increases in this problem or that problem. For example, he would say 50 years ago, only 1,000 kids had autism and now there are 100,000 that have it. Well, sure, I don't know if autism has increased because of bad vaccines or not but I do know that the population as a whole has increased, so therefore logic tells you that the number of autistic kids will grow due to that fact alone. No where does he make the simple reasoning that an increase in population increases everything else. A better argument would have to list percentages. If the percentage of autistic kids had significantly increased, then we do have a problem.
 
The author is basically making the point that America has big problems right now and while most people believe that it's been a cycle of events that have led to this downfall, he believes a group of people are intentionally making America a poorer country so that it can be more easily controlled. While I see where he's going with that, I come from a more optimistic view where I see that things aren't as bad as what he (and the media) believes. If you look back at periods of time in our country, everyone in that present time has difficulties and problems and think "oh, if only we were back to this time". But isn't it just human nature to feel like the world is getting worse? Every decade has issues and catastrophes and crime. It's like we forget that. Sure, things can be improved right now. But it's just a different set of problems that we had in the 90s, 80s, etc. 
 
So, it was an interesting read and definitely gave my mind a lot of thinking to do. I'm definitely completely disgusted with the banks in this country, as well as the huge drug and insurance companies. Corporate greed, in my opinion, is America's number one problem and the cause of our current economic issues. Every time I hear of some bank that went under, but the CEO has a net worth of $500 million, I want to literally throw up. It's so wrong. So for giving me some interesting things to think about, I liked this book. I will say that conspiracy videos are a better format than book form. It's more captivating to see pictures and videos of a conspiracy than to read facts and figures.  I read this author's theories and used my own education and reasoning to form my thoughts on the subject. And anything to get yourself thinking independently is a good thing!!
 
Til next time...Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment