Thursday, July 19, 2012

All-Star Week in KC

Last week, a pretty cool event happened in KC. Kauffman Stadium hosted the MLB All-Star game. For the whole week leading up to the event, there were all kinds of happenings around town. I was lucky enough to get to participate in a few of those fun events!



The Convention Center hosted FanFest. Anyone could go with a ticket and there were tons of games for kids like batting practice or stealing a base. Tons of companies that were giving aways free stuff and several exhibits, including one with all the MLB trophies and about the Negros League (Kansas City is home to the Negro League Baseball Museum, too). It was a lot of fun!



I got to make my own baseball card!

Then I made a flip book!

On Monday night was the Home Run Derby! Thanks to my AWESOME friend Jessica, I got to go! We arrived really early so that we could tailgate with our friends and then we headed to the stadium. It was packed with fans! The opener was my friend MJ's favorite band, the Zac Brown Band.


I didn't take any pics of the Derby but you can read all about it here: http://royalicings.wordpress.com/2012/07/12/fact-if-you-lie-you-will-get-booed-a-lot-27-2/


I'll sum up the best part of the Derby. The captain of the Derby was a Yankees player who chose the players participating and he said a few days before the Derby that he would choose a Royals player, since it was in KC. Then, he went on to NOT choose the Royals player. So, this Yankees player got booed the entire night. Not because he didn't pick the Royals player but because he SAID he was going to, and then didn't. And since the Derby doesn't mean ANYTHING, why not pick a player from the home team?? The best part was then, the Yankees player got ZERO home runs. Talk about Karma!

So, I had a great time participating in the activities and am so blessed with great friends that allowed me to do it! I was also really proud of KC because the city did a great job hosting the event, even the weather was nice!

It also made me think about how Nashville has GOT TO get the NHL All-Star game, now that their new convention center is almost ready. People would have so much fun there!!!


That's about it for now. Here's another fountain I found at the Grandview Municipal building:

No. 94- Main St, Grandview
Alright, more adventures to come!  Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment