Saturday, July 7, 2012

Bruce and Laura: 2005-2012

Today was a very bittersweet day for me. I said good-bye to my faithful bff, Bruce. Unfortunately, the cost of repairs and gasoline was just getting too high for me to justify keeping him on the road with me. While I am excited about my new ride, I wanted to take this opportunity to remember my wonderful 100,000 miles with my bff, Bruce.


 For a long time, I had always wanted a Jeep. I thought they were so cool, ever since I saw the movie "Clueless" and loved Cher's white jeep! As I neared my college graduation, I was able to get this beautiful 2001 Jeep Cherokee. My dad was the one who saw Bruce at the car lot in Lee's Summit and wanted to show me. I was so nervous taking that test drive! I never thought I would get a Jeep, because they were a little more expensive than getting just a regular car. But thanks to my wonderful family, Bruce became mine in April of 2005.

Bruce helped me move several times. 7 times, in fact, in 7 years. From Warrensburg, to Nashville, to my current home in Kansas City. He also loved helping my friends move things, giving rides and of course, going off-road. He was an expert at driving in the snow and ice. I always felt safe and secure.

An especially fun memory is when Bruce took several friends from Joplin out into the country to see the Ghost Lights. Bruce also transported my new kitten, Itsa, when I first got her and welcomed her into my little family. He loved it when I let Itsa loose and she would crawl around on our road trips to see Grandma.

Bruce also loved how everyone knew his name. Just a few weeks ago, some friends at small group asked me how he was doing, and we just had to laugh at the fact that by asking "How is Bruce?" everyone knew who we were talking about!

Bruce, thank you for always getting me to where I needed to be and being a loyal companion on our many trips together. We've seen a lot of this beautiful country together and spent many wonderful years as bff's. Love you and will miss you! Laura

P.S. A special thanks to my friend, AmberZon, for naming Bruce. It was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment