Thursday, August 26, 2010

Art and BBQ= a winning combination!


Saw this bumper sticker today. Bruce wanted it bad!
Today, Bruce and I took part in two KC staples: art and BBQ.

First, my unofficial BBQ survey of Kansas Citians on what is the best KC BBQ was hands down, Oklahoma Joe's. Now, that may not sound like a KC original but it is- well, kind of. The co-founder was Jeff Stehney, who began his BBQ career in the KC circuit and Joe Don Davidson (who provided the smoker) was from Oklahoma.  After winning a bunch of awards at the KC festivals, they opened their first restaurant in Stillwater, Ok but it closed. Now there are two locations in the KC metro area and the best one is actually in a gas station.

Gas Station Oklahoma Joe's


Z Man Sandwich- SOOOOO good!
This place is so good. There's always a line of people getting in. We didn't have to wait too long. I ordered the Z Man Sandwich- beef brisket, cheese, and topped with two onion rings. It was probably the best BBQ sandwich I've ever had. The onion rings just added a special crunch to it and the sauce was just as good as my personal favorite, KC Masterpiece. Sweet and thick- that's the way I like it!

Here's the famous and award-winning sauce "Cowtown BBQ".


Next, we went to the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. I've been here before and have always loved it. It boasts an impressive collection including works by: Monet, Jackson Pollock, Andy Warhol, Rembrandt, van Gogh, to name a few. What was new to me was the Bloch building. It's where they moved the modern, African and sculpture exhibits. I forgot to take a picture of this building, so here is a picture of it from the website:

Bloch building, named after the found of H&R Block
 I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it. It's cool looking for sure, but it's right next to the original building, which is totally classical.  So it kinda looks weird right next to each other.

Traditional, original building.

The famous shuttlecocks at Nelson-Atkins. These never get old to look at!
So, maybe my favorite part of this visit was what happened when I checked in to Foursquare. First, I got the TLC Summer badge for unlocking a TLC hot spot! Very exciting. Then, I saw that Nelson-Atkins was offering a special- free notecards for Foursquare check-ins! So, check out the five designs I got (all prints done by an 11-year old class at the museum).





























Aren't those great? I am going to get some frames and use as wall art.

So, great day for sure!

Couple more fountains from today:

Fountain No. 2: 63rd St and Ward Pkwy
Fountain No. 3: inside Nelson-Atkins

Til next time...Laura

Sidebar: a few months ago, I emailed Netflix saying to please get an iphone app so I can update my queue on my phone. Several times, I'll be talking with someone about a movie and if I'm not at my computer I would forget about it. Well, what do I see today? A Netflix app!! And you can also watch any of their instant movies on your phone! Amazing! So, yes, I'm taking credit for this.

What I'm watching on Netflix right now:

6 comments:

  1. Ok so I heart this blog. Please keep up the good work ;) I love seeing all these pics of what you are doing and where you are going. The food pics crack me up. Such a Laura thing to do :) So I am going to the MC BBQ Fest 2moro & I can't wait! I wonder if it can compete with KC? Looks like you are getting a very cultural experience so far ;) Good luck with job hunting and remember to spell check ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IT LAURA! It's so fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember when we went to the Music City BBQ Fest last year? It was fun for the competitors but not so much for the public. I have no idea what the KC festival is like. Not sure if it's open to the public.

    Did I tell you about my spell checking problem? I'm so embarrassed that the first few resumes I sent out had mistakes in them! We can't figure out why my spell check in Word doesn't work but it does work for this so I think I should be good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, JJ, glad you were a part of today's fun activities!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to see a pict. of your new wall art in your apartment.

    ReplyDelete