Friday, August 27, 2010

Hunting for more KC Fountains


So, I wanted to catch up on some of the fountains that Bruce has driven us by and I was too slow to get a picture.

Fountain No. 4: Kauffman Stadium

No. 4 Kauffman Stadium
I wish I had a better picture of the stadium fountains but I didn't realize I was going to get so into this hunt for Fountains! But you can barely see them in this picture. At my next game, I'll get a better shot. Anyways, the fountains at Kauffman Stadium are the largest fountains privately owned in the world.

This morning, I drove down to the South Plaza neighborhood to get the following fountains:

No. 5 Rain Garden at Theis Park

No. 5 Rain Garden
This may not be an actual fountain per se, but I'm counting it because it's water running down an architectural piece. Another view:

No. 5

The Rain Garden is located at the Frank A. Theis Park, at Oak St and Volker Blvd. Frank Theis was a prominent grain merchant in Kansas City. When you are facing the Rain Garden, if you turn around you see this:

Front lawn of Nelson-Atkins

The art museum! I also saw these: 

Awww...cute!

Directly above the Rain Garden is another beautiful fountain:

No. 6- Volker Memorial Fountain
This is located alongside Volker Blvd, named after William Volker who was a local businessman and philanthropist. He also was a big supporter of UMKC, which is right across the street.

Here are a couple more fountains in the Brush Creek, which runs alongside the Plaza area:

No. 7- Brush Creek
No. 8- Brush Creek
Next, is the fountains at the Russell Stover corporate office on Oak St.

No. 9- Russell Stover

No. 10 Fountain was found at the Jefferson St. parking garage in the Plaza.

No. 10- Jeff St. parking garage

Finally, No. 11 fountain was on Bruce's drive home at 61st Terr and Ward Pkwy.

No. 11- 61st Terr and Ward Pkwy

I've read that all new corporate office buildings in the KC metro are asked to incorporate fountains into their designs so the number of fountains will continue to grow! 

Well, that's all I've got so far on the Fountains. Only 189 left to find!

Til next time...Laura










1 comment:

  1. I love the fountains at Crown Center (I think that's where). We used to play in them all the time when we were kids.

    ReplyDelete