Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Wait, there are parts of Kansas that are nice?!?

Founders of KC!
 The other day I took a drive to familiarize myself with the area. First, every neighborhood I drove through was amazing. I mainly drove from 75th St up Ward Parkway (very ritzy/plaza area always impresses), went to Westport (historic chic), took Broadway up to downtown (can't wait to see the completed performing arts center) and back down Main, past UMKC (so cool makes me wish I went to school there), through the Brookside neighborhood (had no idea this existed and it's soo cute!) and back to Waldo (which is also very cool).

POP QUIZ: Who is named the founder of Kansas City?
Hint: He actually founded Westport and his statue can be found on Broadway, right in heart of Westport, along with two other influential men from KC's history.

So, as you probably know KC is known as the "City of Fountains." With over 200 fountains, it's my goal to get a picture of every one! I'll randomly post them as I find them.
First off:

Near Convention Center downtown, maybe 10th and Main??
Another KCMO fun fact: all major pioneer trails begin in KCMO: Oregon Trail, Santa Fe Trail and California Trail!


Today, I had two interviews in Overland Park, KS. I know, Kansas! Gross!! But since I'm keeping an open mind regarding the job situation, I went. Overland Park is only a 20 min drive from Waldo. So it was very easy to get there. And I have to admit something. Overland Park is like super nice!! That is, for a suburb! It's like the Cool Springs of Kansas, only a lot more spread out and with bigger roads!

In between my interviews, I stopped at a great little Chinese restaurant, Hunan Magic Wok, at 11729 College. It was very quiet, only a couple other customers but the food was delicious! And my server was super sweet. 

Delicious!
I also had time to try out a cute little coffee shop, Scooters, at College and Antioch.
I had a peanut butter/chocolate smoothie and it was to die for! The place was really busy, good for them!

OMG- Amazing smoothie!

Finally, to make up for a stop I forgot before, we went to McCoy's Public House Sunday night for dinner. Another great restaurant in Westport with the best root beer (brewed locally). Food was great (they don't call it comfort food for nothing), and the company was great. I would love to try the patio next time but it was pretty crowded.



Think you know the answer to my quiz? No google cheating! Another hint may be found in this post somewhere! 

Til next time...Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment