Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Birthday Trilogy Weekend


A big thank you to everyone that sent me well wishes on my birthday yesterday. It was awesome getting to see everyone this weekend. I am so blessed!

I don't have a lot of pictures, unfortunately, because I was too busy having fun! But here are a few and a quick recap of the weekend:

Friday was Rock the Red day in support of the Chiefs opening weekend so some of the fountains turned red!

Ok, so it turned out a little pink, but 'A' for effort!

Another fountain on the Plaza rocking the red!


I spent Friday afternoon at Crown Center. They have a lot of fountains! They also have lots of shopping and eating places. The shopping is a little pricy for my budget, but I enjoyed walking around. The store, Finishings, might be my favorite accessories shop ever. When I finally get a job, I'm treating myself there! I already have what I want picked out. :)

Crown Center was created by the founder of Hallmark cards, JC Hall, who came up with the idea in 1955 to create a neighborhood in KC to headquarter his company and offer people a place to shop and dine. The buildings were opened in 1973.

Hallmark Cards headquarters.


No. 40- main fountains at Crown Center. The fountains are part of a music show that plays on the hour.
No. 41- Crown Center
No. 42- Crown Center. (The white tent you can kinda see is where you can ice skate in the winter.)
No. 43- Crown Center

I got this carrot cake muffin from Big Momma's Bakery. It was a little dry but the icing was good!

Holly, I got this one for you! :)

Across the street from Crown Center at  Grand & Pershing is the Washington Square Park. I never knew this existed. There is a ginormous statue of George Washington. Apparently, it's an exact replica of a statue in New York. I'm not quite sure of the significance of what George has to do with KC but, anyways, it's here!

Larger than life George!

The park also offered some incredible views of the downtown skyline and a KC landmark.

Skyline on an overcast day.

The famous Western Auto sign. Lights up at night-looks pretty cool.
Then, right across the street from the park is Union Station.


I'll have to check out Union Station by itself on another day. They have a new exhibit on dinosaurs!



Then, there was another fountain. This is in front of the Liberty Memorial and then, Union Station is right behind it. If you look closely, you can see the Chiefs arrowhead logo, just to the left of the fountain.

No. 44- by Union Station on Pershing Rd.
On my way home from this adventure, I stopped by my favorite place, QuikTrip! And I was amazed at this new product:



A cheeseburger that is a hot dog! I've got to try it!! Too bad I was full at the time but I think it looks amazing! And it's only 99 cents!

Saturday was fun because my friends Anna and Daniel came up for a quick visit for my birthday. We met up with them for dinner in Westport at the Foundry.






I had fried chicken tacos and they were delicious! Sorry I forgot to take a picture of it. Westport was also hosting an arts festival so we walked around a little. I did get the opportunity to practice my modeling:

Strike a pose!
Afterwards, we went over to a friend's house for our friend, Stew's birthday. We played Body Body, which is an acted-out game of Mafia. It was pretty fun, even though there was a lot of yelling. I also was scared the whole time because it involves you walking around in the dark, trying not to get killed!

Sunday started off with church at Jacob's Well and then we ate at Westport Flea Market. This place is awesome. It's a bar, restaurant and flea market. Plus they have pool, shuffleboard and darts. Here's an example of a flea market booth:

Ok, so it was mainly junk but still fun to look at!
Even though we had quite the issues with our dr. pepper (first, it was flat, then we got diet and our server was not happy with us), the burgers and fries were good!

Then, after lunch, was the Ultimate Jersey Shore Foursquare Competition. It was so much fun! We really lucked out on getting the shelter at the Waldo Tower Park and the weather was awesome! But more importantly, lots of people came! We played foursquare for like four hours! I was sore the next day! 

In the Situation Square!

Jason may have been the Foursqaure winner but look at his outfit!

We also had the most delicious cookie cake ever!!! Thank you Jessica Judy for baking this amazing goodness!!!!!!

Amazing! And it was soooooooooo good!!!!!

After the fun afternoon at the park, I was treated to an all-you-can-eat shrimp fest thanks to Bree's dad!

Yesterday, we topped off the birthday celebration with a few friends by eating yummy chili and bean dip and watching the Chiefs play to victory on Monday Night Football!

Go Chiefs!
Whew, that was stressful watching that game at the end. It was close!

Sidebar: I do have fun watching football and if the Chiefs have a decent season I will definitely enjoy that but I think that football is just a huge conspiracy to have more commercials. Football is a 60 minute game that takes 3+ hours to watch. Hockey is also a 60 minute game that takes less than 2 hours. Therefore, there is AN HOUR MORE in football of breaks and commercials. Less action= more money spent on food + more attention to commercials.

So, that wraps up my busy and fun weekend! Now, if only one of these jobs would come through for me, I'd be all set!

Til next time...Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment